WHY PROTECTED THERMOCOUPLES?
- Longer Thermocouple Life
- The Protection Tube extends past the tip, protecting the tip from damage while loading the kiln
- Save Money on Thermocouple Replacement
Size and Description
- The protection tubes are 3/4” in outside diameter with a 1/2” inside diameter (which accommodates the standard 8 gauge Type K thermocouple).
- There is a flange on the back end of the thermocouple to prevent it from going into the kiln.
- A thermocouple in a protection tube does have a delayed response and hence an offset needs to be programmed into the control. (Exposed Type K, small-diameter Type S thermocouples, or metallic sheathed thermocouples are more sensitive and need no such offset).
- However, our test indicated that every thermocouple measured slightly different temperatures anyway. The DynaTrol control has thermocouple offset and cone offset to allow you to compensate for any such effects. The One-Touch™ control has thermocouple offset.
- For ceramic work we recommend calibrating the kiln performance with cones and adjusting the control to match the performance of the firing cones. The most important thing is to get a consistent reading from the thermocouples.